Dreaming of Romance - and 2011 painting agenda:

You may well ask, what is the reverence of 'dreaming' to someone's painting?
Well, if you've followed me a little, everything comes down to dreams in my life- it's how I look forward, how I plan for the future. Painting is something I've done all my life and even made a little income from here and there- and of course will seek to do so again. But I'm rusty... and of course, there is my little 'plan' (which is a daydream kind of dream) to create a beautiful master bedroom. 


One day last year, I decided I was tired of looking at the blank green walls of our bedroom and wanted something softer, more romantic, something special- with gold accents. Metallic gold rubbed on the walls, perhaps. Draperies, or at least sheers and large beaded tassles to drape and flow over the large window. (We have a Far View out that window, which used to look out on my horse, Cherihuka. Now it still envelopes a view that extends far to the horizon of a low-slung mountain range, with the fields of an elk farm, and all of our scrambling of mixed high desert trees and pines).


I began dreaming out my plans for a "Chambre of Gold"Because of that hell in "house modification limbo", I couldn't start purchasing things and paint the walls. (If I can't start farming or raising chickens or riding horses again, I might as well do something in the meantime, right?) But I could paint a picture...


So,
#1 finish my version of “The Kiss” by Gustav Klimt.... 
His original version (if you Google it, color hues change quite a bit): 


An homage to Gustave by Mary Barry:
(A closeup, with some color alteration)

*someone elses version using:  themselves photo-shopped

* My version (still unfinished as flowers need to be added at the very least and possibly re-do the mans whole head!):
OK it took me a year to get it finished enough for the wall (that terrible blank space in a room with green walls... which I destest!) It's not finished, but for now I'm done with it.
I do not "do" people... and least enjoyed this doing this painting! In fact, I watched the Lord of the Rings several times during the course of painting it, in order to MAKE myself get to this point.
The biggest issue was that I had too little gesso to prep the raw canvas with, so the surface is VERY rough and it absorbs paint! This makes detail work, and blending almost impossible! I'm a detail oriented painter.
Secondary was the size of it- I used nothing to measure form, and it seems a little 'off' in perspectives, but you know what? I don't care! The purpose was fulfilled, even if unfinished.


I just wanted something romantic, dreamy for the wall, and something colorful. (without a headboard, we've lived with nothing on the walls for over 5 years!)


Here are closer-ups for those of you who have made it this far:


As with Gustav's painting, every photo can take on different hues- so expect mine to be 'off', too).

There will be more color on it eventually....


But I have more plans for painting. Things I believe will be saleable in our Colorado tourist town.
I plan to paint what will fit nicely over fireplaces, rustic colors, with dramatic effects.
Here is the rest of my agenda: 
*spotted longhorn bulls amid swirling dust (one bull in each picture, several versions, some with crooked horns!)
*wild goats and sheep with wild curly hair and horns standing on ledges and edges of cliffs 
*majestic white buffalo standing in tall grasses
*hairy wild horses with ice in their forlocks, 3-D barbed wire fencing them out (or in)
*ponies with wind at their backs, 3-D barbed wire fencing them out (or in)
*pretty spotted horses with bejeweled rhythm bead necklaces, or looking back over their shoulders at you,  and laying under the sun in fields of flowers
*moons and planets in the universe with faces, expressions, that tell a story
*6th Anniversary present for my husband: an eagle in flight, looking right at you, but wings vertical - as in a turn, rather than horizontally drifting on air currents. You'll see.
*birds' nests cradling clutches of colored birds eggs 
*dandelion seeds blowing on the wind –set against blue clouded skies  (maybe)
*maybe - some "bad monkeys", a themed artistic endeavor, something simple for kids


Hmmm, maybe I'd better define what 'bad monkeys' are - like little dressed-up pirate's monkeys stealing handfuls of pirate's loot, ok?


What have you been up to?
What motivates you - what's the end result you want of that particular thing

I really want to know and would love to hear your plans!



3 comments:

oil painting DVD said...

Great works of art! They look really good! Thanks for the tips above this post...Daniel

Illoura said...

Daniel - I visited your website and watched only a few minutes of your featured video on the behavior of color and light on an object, and wow, you're right, I learned something!
I never considered that when shading, some areas -those between shadow and light -would have the most color saturation.
Thanks for sharing with me.

Hoveland Family said...

Illoura.. absolutely stunning and very dreamy. I love it. :) with the play of sunlight through your room... very nice. Even if you say you don't 'do' people--which I understand is very difficult -- you did so wonderfully.

PS ~ thanks for stopping by the 'virtual' hollow over my way. ;) The ducks are probably my favorite little farm creature to watch...wait, maybe it's the goats, or possibly the chickens? oh nevermind--i love 'em all! lol!