Beauty & Security (and window frame project)

How often do you think of those two words, concepts, together?
I was thrilled to have discovered this artist, who understands my point of view on what eggs symbolize. I have no idea what she would think of keeping chickens but she landed on the ONE exact word I personally associate with eggs: SECURITY.

To me, having a reliable source of eggs, thru keeping chickens, is a source of security.
I was pleased to discover that I’m not the only one!!

The word associations Monique attributes to her paintings of eggs in nests in this way:
‘Nest Egg – Economics – Security’
...and ‘Protection’, ‘Home’, ‘Balance’, ‘Warmth’... as well as: 
‘Nest -Nest Egg - Empty Nest’. I guess she’s spot-on there too, for everything has a balance of good and bad, ying-yang.

I love the color of this nest (she painted)!
Monique is a multi-disciplinary artist and art educator, who has had exhibitions of her artwork in Australia, United Kingdom, France, USA and many galleries in Canada.
On hr website, she offers a snapshot of a work in progress called "Slow Emergencies", (which is so far a swirl of color).

                  Monique: “I love the term slow emergencies. It describes so many things in life; career, relationships, financial situations, it is a catch all phrase. The colored pieces are tiny seed beads.”

I LOVE this idea – I think it would be oh so appropriate to use actual seeds (vs beads), as in:
Seeds – Security  (perhaps also: Slow growth – Survival).  

A true and actual wealth could be all wrapped up in seeds, and hidden in plain sight, hanging as a picture on the wall. I LOVE that concept.
(Of course we know that seeds stay vital longer, better, in cool darkness, as in the earth, waiting... but I speak of the idea more than creating a real basis of security this way.) 

Taking some time to discover her nest/egg art opened my eyes to new things, but most especially, a wonderful accordion book with nest & egg pictures that you can view as a hanging on the wall, or bound up tightly inside itself as a covered book tied with ribbon- beautiful!! (The nests seem ‘stamped’ on, but with a different colored egg in each).
What an inspirational piece of work.

Cari Humphrey shares her whimsical work (2-egg and 3-egg nests) online as well as other gallery showings, via her fine art blog: “I love to paint nests and I have painted probably 20+ nests over the last 6 months.”

This is, as I’ve stated before, one of MY goals.
I wish she had a gallery of those 20+ egg & nest paintings, but I only found two (HERE). 
Many of them were for different customers who were giving them as Christmas gifts. (I think they would sell at a Farmer’s Market -as well as a more ‘practical’ item- like an apron would). 

And I just know this will appeal to some of you...
This was done by Lara Harris, who does a  true vintage look for a custom’ ’family nest painting with personalized names on the eggs. How cute and rustic! Available on Etsy.
Taking some time to discover her nest/egg art opened my eyes to new things, but most especially, a wonderful accordion book with nest & egg pictures that you can view as a hanging on the wall, or bound up tightly inside itself as a covered book tied with ribbon- beautiful!! (The nests seem ‘stamped’ on, but with a different colored egg in each). What an inspirational piece of work.

Google image search of ‘egg in nest paintings’ opened my eyes to so much art... not only of plain or colored eggs IN a nest, but of Easter Eggs and oriental caligraphy painted ON eggs... some really inspiring stuff out there to whet your appetite for your own creations.

I found another beauty- so rustic that I fell in love instantly
The original Egg and Nest painting, “A Full Nest is Best”, is one in a series, all painted on a blue background over reclaimed rustic solid wood boards. It’s for sale HERE, $230. 

Along these same lines, (using rustic pieces of wood), in this case, for art and home decor- among other things I’ve found:
-a mantel decoration shared by Jaimie on her blog which I found thru the Feathered Nest Fridays blog hop.
Sure, it’s just a painted  2”x4”- but quite in fitting with the art I’m sharing today.
I am imagining a wall shelf trimmed / bordered, just like this! (Of course a 2”x4” would be much too heavy to border a shelf, right?) It’s a Shabby Chic look, which I think mixes so well with the French Country, or the Folk style decor.
Whatever you call it, this is what I envision as the ‘style’ for my Farmgirl Office. 

If you also like such things, you’ll want to check out Feathered Nest Fridays blog hop, and share or just peruse: decorating, flea finds, designs, transformations, crafts, table settings, etc. “ANYTHING related to feathering your nest!”  

For those with more refined art or feminine taste for flowers... HERE are 6 pages of nests, eggs, and flowers combined.

Of course, there are other ways to artfully look at eggs, lol. In my google search (not images), I found 40 Creative and Funny egg-paintings. 
Using paint/markers to draw faces on the eggs creating story lines immediately by transferring an emotional face onto them.
(Some pretty disturbing faces/story lines among the funny ones too). But in general, a pretty terrific IDEA in decorating eggs – which may appeal especially to boys. Of all ages.
Or shock someone this way- which could be pretty funny. Especially if you catch it on video, right?


Ok now that I've exposed you to some of the egg things that captivate and fire up inspiration for me, here is what I've been up to:

First, I became enthralled with old windows after I found some by a trash can 5 years ago (at least). After deciding a cold frame wasn't going to happen, I looked online for some other ideas for them. Something easy, simple yet elegant... and found so much! But here is the original inspiration piece:


 What I've been doing is revamping 3 old windows to decorate my Farmgirl Office. I'll share now what I've gotten done so far, but as I'm only 1/2 way done with ONE of them, I do ask for you not to judge too harshly!

Here are my windows (hardware removed to the best of my ability... some hinges are painted on permanently!)They are all the same color maroon on one side and white on the other:
(one pane is missing from the one on the right- it fell during a windstorm)
SO....I had to take out all those panes, right?

OK,  I finished that...and started painting a canvas to hang behind it:
(Without going 'gray', this is supposed to look like really old barn siding.)

(here's a closer-up of the 'wood grain')

(Then I added a bit of straw, like a row of nesting material.)

(and some eggs in process...)

I'll finish up some more eggs- maybe get rid of the pastel colored ones... not sure yet, and add more straw in front of them.
Then the canvas will be attached to the maroon side of the window frame and I'll hang it up and come back to show you. 
Give me a week, I've been draggy due to a cold...

I hope you've been inspired ~ I would sure love to see the projects you've done/working on for your own 'space'... or your pantry or office!! 











1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

Your painting is coming out so pretty! I am really looking forward to seeing it as you work!

The egg faces reminded me of when I "raised" an egg baby in Health class, back in High School. I drew a face on it. That brings me back....

PS--Yep, that was my mom's comment. Good guess!