Hatching a little dream

Is it really all about chickens? YES! Yes it is.

Let me explain...
Last November we found out we had 6 months to move (in a previous post I explained how we were renting and the house was being sold).

Right after this news, I said goodbye to the old gray Roo (his time was up). It was just as the juvenile roo (Red) was ready to step into his place, so things for the flock continued on smoothly.

We had 12 pullets come through that winter and things were really buzzing along when spring started to show up.
Every day I was collecting about 10 eggs: greens, blues, and beautiful shades of brown… it was the best part of my day, to see and hear the latest goings on at the coop, collect the eggs, and toss them a treat. And see if anyone would let me pet them, lol.

The valley was greening up (a lot of unusual rain this spring!) and a rare rainbow at sunrise!

About then we decided we weren’t going to find a decent rental, much less one worth the asking price. In fact, there were hardly any rentals at all! 

Skip this little rant if you wish to....: 
(One reason that  the ones we checked out were most certainly NOT worth the price –because for the last 11 years that town kept publishing newspaper articles bemoaning the problem of a lack of affordable housing (rentals). If it has been a known problem for OVER 10 years and NOTHING had been done to alleviate the problem… well, we heard rumors that city planners (and those rental home owners who voted for them) were really more interested in creating another “Aspen-like community”.  One which works well only for some, and is NOT a very friendly place.)

So we decided to quit fighting that system - to spread our wings somewhere else; and planned a move to Minnesota.
That meant everything we didn’t need or love had to go... from the piano to the pottery:

Of course, I felt my flock was important! … and every week that passes there is ever more reason to provide our own sources of food, including meat or eggs or other protein (I think what’s happening to the living standards in Greece right now will eventually reach our shores – even if it is by another route and reason).

*See my original post "is-it-really-all-about-chickens?" for why I got them in the first place (and the costs of keeping them and things like that). 

But chickens are not like dogs. They are not a member of the family. They can be replaced. I could not move them cross-country, I could not keep my roo (raised from an egg), I could not keep even “just two” of the EE's (colored egg layers). I knew we were moving into a house within city limits with no fencing or coop, and that this country has very harsh winters! No, I had to let them all go.

Of course I had felt that their big sturdy coop was worth too much to sell cheaply just to get rid of it (I could never expect to get, and never pay again, the amount it would cost to replace it!!)
But when someone came along and offered way too low a price (not even ¼ of its value), but would also keep all the birds… I realized what was good for this buyer would be good for the birds and would also be good for me. I could let them go to a good home and not have worry or regrets, follow me.

It will likely be a couple of years before I am situated to get chickens again. But I’m planning for that day already!

I am taking great care to know what kind I’m getting then (I think, lol).
It’s still hard right now… because I miss the birds I raised, and I wonder how they are doing and what they are doing - and I miss having chickens altogether!
In life though, timing is everything. It’s simply not the right time.

It’s good  that I can hone down what I really want to do with a new flock, and time to decide what breed(s) I want based on that. And to build another coop. And hopefully time for this avian flu to run its course (that’s currently taking down turkey farms here in Minnesota). And to have the ability to grow supplemental feed and garden produce, to help offset feed costs!
Maybe most importantly is that avian flu has affected birds on bird farms in this state (and others). Though it's mostly turkey farms, I wouldn't want to start a flock right now for that reason alone!
  • number of birds affected in Minnesota: 9,024,632
  • number of farms affected: 108
And so in this planning, scheming, research stage… perhaps I am finally coddling hatching the start of another dream.  Just a little dream, of having a flock again…

What do YOU dream of? (Little things count!)







No comments: